Under Working Together to Safeguard Children Clinical Commissioning Groups (CCGs), as major commissioners of local health services, should employ or have in place a contractual agreement to secure the expertise of Designated professionals, including Designated professionals for Looked After Children.
The Safeguarding Children Team provides safeguarding and child protection expertise and leadership throughout health and multiagency partnerships, through a multitude of roles and responsibilities which include:
- Being clinical advisors to the Somerset Safeguarding Children Board, as an active member of a number of the sub groups and the Board, as well as through chairing the Health Sub Group.
- Working with clinical commissioners to ensure that effective quality assurance arrangements are in place to meet Health Service duties under the Children’s Acts 1989 and 2004.
- Providing advice to the Managing Director, Clinical Chair and Director of Quality and safety at the CCG about their responsibilities, to ensure that performance indicators in relation to safeguarding children are met.
- Holding providers to account up to and including board level, to ensure that all staff know and understand their responsibilities for safeguarding children; including attending contract review meetings to provide expert clinical advice on safeguarding children’s services.
- Co-ordinating the health component of serious case reviews (SCR’s) and working with partner agencies to compile the multi-agency overview of SCR’s.