Somerset CCG has signed up to the Mindful Employer initiative. The initiative is aimed at increasing awareness of mental health at work and providing ongoing support for staff who experience stress, anxiety, depression or other mental health conditions in the workplace.
The Charter for Employers who are Positive about Mental Health is a voluntary agreement seeking to support employers in working within the spirit of its positive approach.
By signing up to the charter, the CCG is showing its commitment to improve the working lives of staff, specifically to:
- Show a positive and enabling attitude to employees and job applicants with mental health issues. This will include positive statements in local recruitment literature.
- Ensure that all staff involved in recruitment and selection are briefed on mental health issues and The Equality Act 2010, and given appropriate interview skills.
- Make it clear in any recruitment or occupational health check that people who have experienced mental health issues will not be discriminated against and that disclosure of a mental health problem will enable both employee and employer to assess and provide the right level of support or adjustment.
- Not make assumptions that a person with a mental health problem will be more vulnerable to workplace stress or take more time off than any other employee or job applicant.
- Provide non-judgemental and proactive support to individual staff who experience mental health issues.
- Ensure all line managers have information and training about managing mental health in the workplace.
For more information visit the Mindful Employer website: www.mindfulemployer.net